Château Laurier is quite famous in Ottawa — more than an hotel, it is a landmark and an heritage building. Located between the Parliament, the Rideau Canal, the National Gallery of Canada, the Byward Market, the National War Memorial, the U.S. Embassy, and the Rideau Centre, it is in the heart of the city.
The Château Laurier was constructed between 1909 and 1912 and named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier, then the Prime Minister of Canada. Over the years, it met with history. For instance, the hotel was to be opened on April 26, 1912, but chairman Charles Melville Hays, who had commissioned the hotel and was returning to Canada fo its opening, perished aboard the Titanic when it sank on April 15.
From July 1924 to October 2004, the sixth floor of the hotel was home to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s local English and French language radio stations. It was also home for many years to Yousuf Karsh, one of the world’s most renowned portrait photographers.
And of course, it is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of Charles Melville Hays who died on the Titanic.