I remember, when I first came to Canada, still innocent… I then didn’t know that :
1) Hockey players had weird names:
– “Brindamour” (which translates as “a piece of love”…)
– “Latendresse” (“tenderness”… how ironic for a hockey player !)
– “Le Cavalier” (“horserider”… ditto)
2) Fighting is expected, blood cheered and missing teeth mandatory (teethless smile after a game a bonus) :
3) Canada stops breathing for the playoffs. If you’re not a big hockey fan, just keep quiet and don’t cheer or express any sympathetic feeling for Toronto :
Four hockey fans were climbing a mountain one day. Each was a fan of a different team, and each proclaimed to be the most loyal of all fans of their hockey team. As they climbed higher, they argued as to which one of them was the most loyal of all. They continued to argue all the way up the mountain, and finally as they reached the top, the Canadiens fan hurled himself off the mountain, shouting, “This is for the Great Montreal Canadiens!” as he fell to his doom. Not wanting to be out done, the Edmonton Oilers fan threw himself off the mountain shouting “This is for the Oilers!”
Seeing this, the Ottawa Senators fan walked over and shouted, “This is for everyone!” and pushed the Toronto Maple Leafs fan off the side of the mountain.
Go Sens Go !!!