The Ad-Spot Contest Winners... Announced!
It’s time to give out free ad spots!
And the winners of The “Win An Ad Sport” Contest are…
Okay, let me first take a red pen (teacher training blahblahblah). Oh, first of all, let me thank my contesters: Ghosty, Jé Maverick, Seraphine, JoAnn, Linguist In Waiting, Johnada, Beaverboosh, Theresa, Colleen, Aiglee, Art, Kyh and Scarlett.
So, here are the original questions and their answers (in red):
- Sociology: Name three Canadian addictions. Several answers were possible: hockey, Tim Hortons (donuts…), weather, Quebec…
- Vocabulary: Give the meaning of these words/ expressions:
– Homo milk: homogenized milk, whole milk (US)
– A toque: from Quebec French “tuque”, it’s a winter hat
– Block heaters: heaters used to warm up the car’s engine (we literally “plug” the car), a must to start the car when it’s way below zero
– A serviette: the word “napkin” in French, very used in English Canada
- Geography: Canada is said to have two seasons: winter and construction, of course! Major road repairs are always in the summer… roads are extremely bumpy here, the cold weather and the salt we use in the winter usually destroy most roads.
- General knowledge: What’s an inuksuk? It’s an Inuit man-made stone landmark. You can see one on the Vancouver 2010 Olympics flag.
- Bonus question (not Canada related): what’s the common point between a lot of my blog posts’ titles? A lot of my posts titles refer to Canada, of course. But many of them are also a quote from a song: “I’m a passenger and I ride and I ride”, “The Division Bell”, “Scar Tissue”, “Lazy”, “Don’t Look Back In Anger”, “You And Whose Army”, “Losing My Religion”…
So, here are the lucky winners:
- Johnada, author of “Johnada”, who scored 4.5÷5 and blogged about the contest, making up for an extra point
- Theresa, author of “The Rain In Spain”, with 4/5 answered correct, who blogged about the contest as well. Second time winner… good job!
- Linguist In Waiting, author of “Linguist In Waiting”, who scored 3.5÷5 and also blogged about the contest.
Congrats! Send me a small picture/ logo/ drawing etc. by email and I’ll put it in the ad slot for a month (er… I still have yours Theresa!).
As promised, I also picked a 4th contest to win a one month blogroll link and a short blog review. To pick the winner, I used a random number generator and got a seven. Seraphine, author of “Encore Seraphine” gets it, since she was the 7th commenter… and she was also the closest contest for the ad-spot, so I guess it’s fair (just luck though!). Now, let me introduce you to her blog, described as “A Web Comic that explores relationships and life’s great mysteries from the unique perspective of a Gothic woman”. Now, that’s something original.
The first thing you’ll notice when you visit her blog are the unique graphic. Seraphine, who owns Seraphine Model Management (SMM), a modeling agency in Second Life, uses captionned Second Life shots for her blog posts. Now, whether the posts are personal (like in her illustrated “Eight Random Things About Me”), illustrate our crazy lives (like in “Condiments”) or just deep thoughts (“Being Alone Is The End Of The World”), there’s always something fun and innovative to read.
On top of the unique graphics, Seraphine also posts a small poem or a thought and a quotation at the bottom of each post, which makes the whole thing even more memorable.
Seraphine: I seriously love what you do!
Some contestant were pretty close and I must say it was a tough call. That said, I’ll be having another contest in about a month, so you’ll get another chance! Thanks a lot for playing, I hope you guys had fun.Tagged with: Contests and Hunts | Just Blogging