20+ Tools For Your Blog (9/10)
Welcome to my new “How To Blog” series! In this series, I’ll try to put my knowledge to good use and shed some light on the basic of blogging. You will learn how to set up a self-hosted blog, what are the must-have plugins, how to attract readers, how to monetize your blog etc. I’ll publish a new “How To Blog” post every Saturday.
Today, I’d like to share something even more personal than clothes, make-up or a toothbrush: bookmarks. We all have our favorite sites or tools to make blogging easier… here are mine: a collection of links to online tools, great blogs and generators for the geeks impaired.
Note that all these tools are free and none of these links are sponsored!
For Blog Design:
- Favicon From Pics: an online tool to create favicons (the small icon by the url of a website) from regular images.
- Color Scheme Generator: to create a nice scheme for your blog.
- Screen Resolution Checker: although most of us now use larger monitors with a 1024 x 768 resolution, there are still some 800 x 600 users. Would your blog look fine with this resolution? Have a look! Note: this tool only works with IE 5.5 or higher… not Firefox for some reason.
- Browsershot: this tools test your website in different browser… well, over 50 actually, including some browsers you have never heard of! This is really useful because browsers such as Internet Explorer are well-known to display some features differently. With this tool, you just enter your blog’s URL, bookmark the page, and pick up your screenshots later. You can view them online or download them. And good luck fixing the cross-browsers bugs afterwards!
- Flickr Toys: do more stuffs with your pictures! Make a jigsaw puzzle, a mosaic, an inspirational poster, a badge, a movie poster… Over 40 tools to do original things with your pictures. Note: you need to open a Flickr account to upload your pictures, either from Flickr, either from your computer.
- 101 Fonts For Designers: a list of fonts to download.
- Noupe: a great design blog, which often features design ideas, CSS tricks and “best of” lists.
- Smashing Magazine: a design website which features freebies (icons, wallpapers…), graphic inspiration, how-to…
For coding (HTML, CSS) :
- Kotatsu: this one generates HTML tables. Perfect to align pictures two per two.
- Dropdown Menu Creator: generates a custom dropdown menu. Just enter your links and get the HTML code.
- CSS School: CSS tutorial with examples, quizzes, references, and an editor.
- WordPress Max: a great blog which focuses mostly on WordPress, with tips and articles on plugins, themes, monetizing etc.
- Hack WordPress: a blog about themes, plugins, code, and WordPress hacks.
- Web Designer Wall: a blog mostly about design but which also features great CSS tutorials. It has an amazing theme!
- Pro Blog Design: design and hacks.
- Theme Lab: WordPress coding tutorials.
For SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and marketing your blog:
- The Blogger’s Guide To SEO: to finally understand what SEO is all about.
- Feed Analysis: analyse your feed and get an estimate of your future readership.
- SEO Tools: includes site analysis (page rank, alexa…), keywords tools, and links tools.
- Check Internal Page Rank: check the page rank of your site and its internal pages.
- Website Grader: grade your blog’s SEO.
- Internet Marketing: a good blog about marketing and blogging advices.
- Digital Point: a huge forum for coders, designers, webmasters, marketers and more.
- Bloggeries: a smaller but friendlier forum about blogging, webmastering and marketing.
Hope you will find something useful for you! And don’t hesitate to send me your best links, I’ll add them to this list.Tagged with: How To Blog | WordPress