Just before Mark turned two, we did a grand tour of China to meet Feng’s extended family. We landed in Beijing, traveled to the South, and then headed to the North, in Manchuria, where Feng grew up.
It was my sixth trip to China. I thought I knew everything. I had somehow conveniently forgotten that this time, I had a toddler with me, and that I was visited as “the wife”, the Westerner in a Chinese family. Oh, and my in-laws were with us too.
This is probably one of the most challenging trips we ever took, mostly from a cultural perspective. It was intense.
The good part? Tons of hilarious stories to tell.
The pictures of the trip are here.
Here is the travel diary:
- Last Day in Beijing…
- People of Beijing + Creative Signs
- Beijing, From the Olympic Park to Tiananmen Square
- Away from Home
- The North Tomb (北陵)
- No Power in Pyongyang… I mean, Shenyang
- Another World
- Yummy Northeastern Specialties, Plus Everything You Need to Know About Chinese Food
- Thoughts from the 27th Floor
- Shenyang or the Art of Being Chinese (我不也是中国人!)
- Web Traffic and Street Traffic
- Shenyang’s Imperial Palace (沈阳故宫)
- Welcome to…The Machine…
- And Now, A Bathroom Break on Chinese Toilets…
- Shanghai at 5:30 a.m.
- Pudong and the Concrete Jungle
- The Bund (外滩)
- Nanjing Lu (南京路)
- Shanghai, Baby!
- 9 Things Chinese Do
- Goodbye Southern China
- West Meets East and Changsha, or a Major Culture Shock
- Hunan and Hubei Food
- Chinglish in Southern China
- Hankou and the Yangzi
- The Yellow Crane Tower (黄鹤楼)
- Meeting the “Family” in Wuhan
- A High-Speed Ride to Southern China
- The Art of Getting Around in Beijing
- Nighttime Fun in Wangfujing 王府井
- Blast from the Past
- Hate Crowded Places, Kids and Animals? (北京动物园)
- People of Beijing (北京人）
- Tian An Men, Wang Fu Jing and a Temple Later…
- The Crazy Journey from Ottawa to Beijing
- …And this is How It All Started
- A Simple Explanation (or Conversing With a 22-Month-Old Toddler)
- Today We’re Packing to Travel to….